Legal Guides for Nonprofits
- Community Land Trusts Manual
The second edition of our Community Land Trusts Manual provides overviews of the legal considerations most commonly involved in establishing and maintaining Community Land Trusts (CLTs). A CLT is a private, nonprofit corporation created to provide secure affordable access to land and housing for the benefit of the community. This manual includes guides for various interested entities as well as sample legal documents for CLTs.
- The Homebuyer’s Guide to Community Land Trusts
- Community Land Trusts: Sample Bylaws
- Community Land Trusts: Sample Articles of Incorporation
- Community Land Trusts: A Primer for Local Officials
- Community Land Trusts: A Primer for Financial Institutions
- Community Land Trusts: A Primer for Title Insurance Companies
- Community Land Trusts: A Primer for Local Assessors
- Community Land Trusts: Commercial Land Use
- Community Land Trusts: Sample Ground Lease
- Community Land Trusts: Sample Purchase Agreement
This publication and the chapters above were made possible with grant funding from the Michigan State Bar Foundation. The Foundation’s funding does not constitute an endorsement of content or opinion expressed in it.
- Vacant Property Toolbox – 2nd Edition
The Vacant Property Toolbox, 2nd edition provides an overview of both short and long-term strategies that community organizations can apply to reduce the negative impact of vacant properties on neighborhood conditions.
- A Trespass Primer for Community Groups Maintaining Vacant Property
A primer for community groups and residents undertaking vacant property maintenance activities. It covers the potential legal consequences to maintaining a vacant property without the owner’s permission under Michigan law.
- Crowdfunding for Nonprofits: Legal Considerations for 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt Organizations
This guide is intended to provide information for nonprofit/tax exempt or social enterprise organizations interested in crowdfunding. This project was made possible through the generous support of the Michigan State Bar Foundation. A special thank you to our authors: Daimeon Cotton of Cotton Law Center, PLLC; Anthony Frasca of Dykema; and Kate Redman of Olson, Bzdok & Howard.
- Employment Law Manual – 2nd Edition
The Second Edition of our Employment Law Manual is a primer on key legal topics facing the nonprofit employer. Every nonprofit employer should understand its legal responsibilities to its employees.Topics covered include: hiring, benefits, employment policies, medical and disability issues, discrimination, termination and more.
- Fiscal Sponsorship
A brief article describing how fiscal sponsorship works including the legal responsibilities and duties of a fiscal sponsor as well as the sponsored organization.
- Legal Considerations for Nonprofits Considering Collaboration, Alliances, Joint Ventures and Mergers
A brief article describing legal considerations and issues nonprofits must consider when forming collaboration, alliances, and joint ventures with other organizations.
- Legal Duties of Nonprofit Board of Directors
A brief article describing the legal responsibilities and duties of the board of directors of a nonprofit organization.
- Tax Considerations for Michigan Nonprofits
This guide outlines some key state and federal tax compliance requirements that Michigan-based nonprofit organizations should keep in mind. It addresses issues relating to fundraising, operations, and annual filings, such as:
- Revocation and reinstatement of tax exempt status
- Rules for charitable giving, including events and cash donations
- Filing requirements and general guidelines for Form 990
- Tips on understanding unrelated taxable business income
- Information reporting requirements, such as Form 1099 and W9s