Step 1: Initial Consultation
MCR assists Michigan nonprofits with their transactional (non-litigation) legal needs. If you would like to know whether MCR can help your nonprofit organization, please email email@example.com or leave us a voicemail at (313) 962-3171 (x101) with your name, organization name, and a brief description of the legal issue.
Step 2: Complete the “Request for Legal Assistance” Form
Once MCR has determined that we can assist you on your legal matter, you will have to complete a Request for Legal Assistance Form.
Before completing the form, please be sure to have the following documents:
- List of Board of Directors
- Current Annual Budget (with detailed expenses and revenues)
- Annual Report
- Brochures of other promotional material
- Articles of incorporation
- IRS determination letter
- If legal request is related to a specific project, a narrative summary of the project (for example, community development corporations requesting real estate assistance with a particular development)
- Any other information required to better understand the nature of the legal matter (i.e., contracts, agreements or other legal documents directly related to the legal matter; any court filings, regulatory correspondence, or correspondence between relevant parties)
- Identification of potential adverse parties
Submitting the completed form
There are three ways the completed Request for Legal Assistance Form (and any corresponding documents) can be submitted:
- EMAIL the form and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MAIL the form and documents to:
Michigan Community Resources
Attention: Maureen Krasner
615 Griswold St, Suite 805
Detroit, MI 48226
- FAX the form and documents to (313) 962-0797
MCR staff will review the completed form to determine if your organization qualifies for our services. We will strive to contact you within 5-10 business days after you submit your request for legal assistance. We cannot accept every applicant. Submitting a request for legal assistance does not create an attorney-client relationship with MCR or its volunteers. If you have any questions, please call (313) 962-3171 (x101).