Since 2015, Michigan Community Resources has celebrated women community leaders through The Power of One Dedicated Woman, our annual awards honoring unsung women changing Detroit neighborhoods.
This year, we will continue to bring attention to the stories of women leaders in Detroit and ways you can support them through virtual and in-person engagement opportunities.
Alongside our partners and awards sponsors, we will offer revised award benefits to deepen our support of honorees by providing them with valuable tools and resources to support their work.
2021 honoree Rhonda Theus receives her award prizes sponsored by JP Morgan Chase
This award is for all women: cisgender (women who were assigned female at birth), transgender (women who were assigned male at birth), and nonbinary people who are comfortable in a space that centers the experiences of women. Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Identifies with above description
- Over age 18
- Resident of the city of Detroit
- Shares her time, talent, and treasure to improve her Detroit community
- Her efforts have gone unsung (largely unrecognized by mainstream media, the public, and through traditional awards)
- Open to receiving no-cost support services and resources from MCR and our partners to support her work in the community, along with other honoree benefits
It is free to nominate and anyone may submit a nomination.
NOMINATIONS FOR 2022 AWARDS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Winners will be announced late summer 2022.
RELEASE: Detroit women awarded for community service during pandemic
Michigan Community Resources honors six women during virtual awards event on August 24, 2021
Aleasa M. Peatross-Smith
Mary Jo Smith
Sonia Renia Brown