Since 2015, Michigan Community Resources has been proud to celebrate women community leaders through The Power of One Dedicated Woman, our annual awards honoring unsung women changing Detroit neighborhoods.
This year, our seventh annual awards will continue to look different than previous years because of the global pandemic, but our goal of bringing attention to the stories of women community leaders is the same.
This year, with the support of our partners and awards sponsors, we have identified new award benefits to expand and deepen our support of honorees by providing them with valuable tools and resources to support their work.
Nominations are now closed. Stay tuned for more ways you can support these women and The Power of One Dedicated Woman annual awards!
This award is for all women: cisgender (women who were assigned female at birth), transgender (women who were assigned male at birth), and nonbinary people who are comfortable in a space that centers the experiences of women. Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Identifies with above description
- Over age 18
- Resident of the city of Detroit
- Shares her time, talent, and treasure to improve her Detroit community
- Her efforts have gone unsung (largely unrecognized by mainstream media, the public, and through traditional awards)
- Open to receiving free support services and resources from MCR and our partners to support her work in the community, along with other honoree benefits
- Able to attend virtual awards on August 24, 2021
It is free to nominate and anyone may submit a nomination.
NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
HONOREES WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN JUNE 2021.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2020 HONOREES
Sandra White, Hope Village Revitalization
Claudia Enriquez, Southwest Detroit
Jasmine Mahone, Brilliant Detroit Osborn
Joyce Moore, Virginia Park Community Coalition
Theresa Landrum, Southwest Detroit
Yvonne Gibbs, Forrer Community Block Club Association, Inc.
We also honor the legacy of Samoy Smith and the impact she’s made
through Creating Space Detroit in the Bagley community.
Aleasa M. Peatross-Smith
Mary Jo Smith
Sonia Renia Brown