Michigan Community Resources (MCR) and Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps member to serve as a Program Associate. The candidate will ideally begin service on January 1, 2019 and serve a minimum of 1700 hours though the end of his/her/their term on October 31, 2020. The exact start and end date are confirmed by the Member Agreement of Participation. The individual selected to serve is not considered to be an employee of MCR or LISC.
The full AmeriCorps Member Service Description can be found here.
AMERICORPS MEMBER ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct outreach to community organizations to understand their needs as well as connect to Michigan Community Resources’ programs and external resources
- Recruit new clients for Michigan Community Resources’ programs
- Support administration of one-on-one appointments between MCR staff and community leaders to address their organizational needs
- Assist with long-term one-on-one assistance with community groups across the city to support their capacity building needs
- Assist with design and facilitation of educational & networking events
- Assist with engagement of volunteers
PERFORMANCE, CAREER DEVELOPMENT, AND SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
Members are expected to attend and participate in all LISC AmeriCorps sponsored activities including but not limited to:
- Attending a local onboarding session coordinated by LISC and an onsite orientation to our organization;
- Attending a national leadership conference in March 2020;
- Attending all locally sponsored monthly meetings;
- Participating in nationally sponsored webinars;
- Actively participating in at least two team coordinated service projects (one for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and one for National AmeriCorps Week); and,
- Engaging in any other LISC events as determined by the local LISC office.
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Computer skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Prior experience in community engagement, group facilitation, and/or program management
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible to participate as a LISC AmeriCorps member the candidate must meet all eligibility requirements to serve as a National Service participant including but not limited to:
- Be eligible to earn 100% of the education award associated with this description
- Be eligible to perform the term of national service associated with this description
- Have unexpired proof of status as a US citizen or possess unexpired permanent resident status and be able to provide documentation as determined by CNCS during the pre-enrollment period
- Possess a high school degree, GED certificate or agree to achieve GED during the term of service
- Be at least 17 years of age (note there is no upper age limit)
- Be able to complete at the hours within the timeframe of the service term and serve the full term
Upon successful completion of the term of service, the member will be eligible for a $6,095 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school. Members are eligible to place existing student loans (loans must qualify and not in a state of default) into AmeriCorps forbearance. The position pays a total stipend of $17,000. The stipend is taxable and paid in 20 equal checks twice a month from LISC. Direct deposit is required. A health care benefit is available for the participant only (dependents are not eligible). For members with children under the age of 13, there is a child care subsidy benefit available which is dependent on the participant meeting all eligibility requirements (This benefit is administered by a contracted provider via the Corporation for National and Community Service).
HOW TO APPLY:
Before applying, please read the AmeriCorps Member Service Description in full.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Alisha Opperman at email@example.com by Friday, November 29, 2019.